Sunday 1 September 2013

On the up - Sunday

Sunday dawned grey and breezy in Preston where I enjoyed my best night's sleep to date, despite it being on the mattress from a sofa bed in a motorway Ibis.

The plan of cycling slowly to protect the didgy left leg from pain worked for about 5 minutes when a twinge in the side of the knee set up camp and became a constant sharp ache. So I kept going slowly, spinning the wheels, and being overtaken by all and sundry.

As we got close to the Lake District the scenery went from scenic to stunning.



The signs to Kendal gave me a goal to focus on, and I stopped to phone Susie. We passed through Kendal on a university road trip, about 24 years ago.



Ahead lay Shap Fell, a pass over the hill that towers above the town. The sign didn't fill me with confidence.



Up and up I went, spinning the gears and stopping for photos and to give my legs a rest. Nothing was too painful, though my arse was so sore that I had to lift my weight off the seat every 50 yards or so.

There was a strong breeze blasting in from the west with just enough south in it to help a little rather than hinder. The landscape was spectacular with the grey scudding clouds adding to the sense of drama.


It was a bit too wild at the top to stop for more than a moment to look at the 360 view, then the long run down the other side was a joy, with the the dark hills rolling for as far as the eye could see. With sheep too. (Click on any pics to for larger images).






The afternoon got better and better. The fact that it was mostly downhill was a big help, but my legs felt stronger and stronger with the aches and pains easing. I hooked up with a good group of lads to pass through Penrith, but could not see any tea rooms for Withnail and I homage.

The final 20 miles to reach Carlisle seemed to stretch on, as seems to be the pattern, but I ended the day sitting in a bath which actual ice and feeling more positive. (If you are of a nervousness disposition, please look away now).







Now I just need to balance protecting my legs with not spending too long on the bike each day.



1 comment:

  1. Good luck Bless. That's a serious undertaking. All the best Joe, Chloe etc al.

    ReplyDelete