Wednesday 4 September 2013

Highlander - Wednesday

5.45am. Chris goes to the bathroom. Breaks some surprisingly melodic wind. Returns to bed.
5.46am. Chris: "It's very complicated for these hotels, organising all the food for everyone, isn't it?"
5.47am. Chris: "Do you mind if I open the curtains?"
5.48am. Chris: "Seeing as you're awake, do you want a cup of tea?"

So, up early then. But worth it for the view over the loch.


There's always a bit of trepidation at the start of a 90+ mile ride, but off we rolled, now in a fairly established gang of five. There are natural changes in tempo as the day goes on. Sometime we'll amble along, chatting and talking rubbish, sometimes ride tight and fast. There's no plan and the variety helps break up the day.



Words don't do the scenery justice. The hills aren't exceptionally craggy or mountainous, they're just very, very big. Huge. Massive. Majestic. Towering. Imposing. You get the idea.

And the light. A lot of the magic is in the light. There's always some cloud as you look around the vast panorama and the mountainsides bathed in light contrast with the brooding malevolence of their darkened neighbours. As I said, words don't do it justice, especially not mine.

We passed the Falls of Lorna...


And some other pleasant combinations of water and land.



After passing through Fort William we climbed and the biggest hill of them all, Ben Nevis, revealed itself, the whole range bathed in sun for a few moments.





The last 20 miles flew by. I had a couple of energy gels with added caffeine and set the pace, helped by a fresh southerly breeze and flat loch side roads. It was about as good as cycling gets, and it felt good to be doing some work at the front of the gang after a few days earlier in he week when my legs were not up to it. I'd been told that I'd cycle myself fit (DP) and it seems I have.

The end of the day involved a little shopping for the Youth Hostel we're staying in the delightfully named Loch Lochy.








4 comments:

  1. If you're passing through Fort Augustus there's a butcher by the locks - on the right going down the hill - that does some fine pies...in case you're loosing too much weight of course. These will set you up nicely for Loch Ness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had some Scotch pie yesterday. It seemed to be made with some of the prodigious road kill I have witnessed in the last few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miles,

    Just found out yesterday you were doing this ride! Amazing achievement, I have just got into cycling but happy if I can do 20 miles! looks like you are in the swing of things now good luck for final days

    Roger
    Eden's Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course saying you'd ride yourself fit was my bit of coaching that I picked up from Sean Kelly on Eurosport. Fine for the pros, I had my doubts about whether it could apply to us. Delighted to hear it's working out.

    ReplyDelete