Monday 2 September 2013

Another day, another country - Monday

First off an apology for the typos and lack of editing in these posts. The iPad and Blogger software don't get on, and there's a lot to do when I get off the bike each evening. First the bike has to put somewhere safe, often a hotel conference room, but last night a disused swimming pool. Once in the room the cold bath runs while I mix a recovery drink which helps mend tired muscles. Cold bath. Hot shower. Wash kit. To bar for ice to put on whichever muscles hurt most. Upload pics from phone to iPad etc. Then write blog. I bet you wished you'd never asked.

So that's where I am now. At 6.45 in Kilmarnock. Which is in Scotland.

The day started very windy, with the wind right on the nose. My left knee had its side pain right from the outset but the dead quad didn't kick in until the afternoon, which is a big improvement. All in all the best leg day since Day 2. I still can't stand up to cycle as the left leg won't support my weight on its own. But I'm really pleased with how things are going and glad I took it easy for the past couple of days.

Into Scotland.



A stop to buy ointment as I could feel some chaffing reaching dangerous levels. The application in the car park was not seemly but felt extraordinarily good. The five of us wandering round the chemists choosing creams and drugs was quite surreal.


Then we got into the Lowlands and some great views. The two pics below are 180 degrees views which together give an idea of the panorama

I'm going to finish now as the site is playing up and not letting me edit or add more pics. And I need to call the kids. They've just got back from a swim in the sea. The south may be having a heat wave but Scotland was grey and windy. But with another 100 mile day in the bag we're getting closer everyday. Which I guess is the idea.









4 comments:

  1. It's around this time that you realise how big Scotland really is. I think it's an English conspiracy by the BBC to lean the weather maps backwards to make Scotland look smaller.
    You have some epic scenery ahead of you, fair winds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pleased the chemist was able to sell you a hanging basket to prettify your helmet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I'm glad you mentioned washing kit as I was getting alarmed by the miles that red jersey seemed to be putting in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to here you bought some ointment - get some sudocream, brilliant for all types of chaffing, the cream to beat all creams!

    ReplyDelete